Friday 2 May 2014

Evaluation Q2



Main Product & Ancillary Texts

Overall, I think the combination of my video and main product is successful. A brief example, continuity can be found throughout the products through the use of colour. Red has been used consistently in the entire promotional package. The simplicity of my ancillary texts is also represented through the simplicity of my video. For example, my video does not have a fixed narrative which simplifies the audience's experience when watching the video by allowing them to watch without having to ask questions. 

Continuity is also shown through the use of costume. I shot Amelia for the ancillary costumes in one of the same outfits seen in the video. I did this so that the audience can recognise Amelia in the ancillary texts from the video as the video would be released before the ancillary texts.



As seen in my video, black, white, red has been used profusely. I have done this as I believe it effectively represents the ideology of the song and album. As mentioned before, "Heart Attack" is a song about love which is represented by the use of red. Amelia portrays a character will not allow herself to be heartbroken which is why I have put her in red clothing because it suggests the theme of love but it also represents defiance. Red also symbolises warning and danger which shows that Amelia is warning her love interests that she is not the type of girl to get heartbroken. 


I followed formal conventions such as creating a 'house-style' throughout my ancillary texts. For example, I have consistently used three colours for all my ancillary texts thus creating a theme. The use of red, black and white connote different meanings. Red represents love and passion which establishes the album a love record. Black is a representation of the rock elements in the album but also represents grief and heartache. The white is a representation of innocence. White establishes Amelia as a new artist and connotes her youth.
It also establishes the artist's look, for example the use of the same colours will register the artist with those colours therefore, allowing the audience to recognise the artist through the use of colours.

 


 

I have used Janet Jackson's album release poster as my main inspiration. I believe both my ad and Jackson's ad effectively fulfil the purpose of promoting the album. For example as stated in question 1 of my evaluation, Beyonce's sudden release proved to be a success critically and commercially. Beyonce's simple cover art for her album represents the post-modern media era. For example, "art" is no longer the complex and detailed form as it used to be, post-modern media plays and challenges the conventions of traditional media. 








The videos below are from my audience feedback and the interviewees both agree that my ancillary texts effectively show continuity throughout both of my products.


  

The images below show my ancillary texts once distributed and in real life. Looking at the images, I feel my ancillary texts are successful in being effective compared to real media products.  









No comments:

Post a Comment