Friday 2 May 2014

Evaluation Q1



Breaking The Rules Like Bey!
My media product has used, developed and challenged forms and conventions of real media products. For example, for my ancillary texts I challenged the formal convention of including the artist on the album cover by replacing it with the title. I was inspired to do so after Beyonce's self titled secret visual album was released. 

 

Beyonce's  album cover is simply all black with 'BEYONCE' positioned in the centre in a pink font. The success of her album shows how digitalisation has eliminated costly marketing campaigns and simplified it all. Through the use of Web 2.0 and social media Beyonce was able to secure her album at the Number 1 spot on itunes with her album making record breaking sales. The use of 'trends' and 'hashtags' allows artists to openly promote their product themselves. By doing this Beyonce has broken and challenged traditional conventions of media production and brought a new post-modern way of thinking to light. 

I followed formal conventions such as creating a 'house-style' throughout my ancillary texts. For example, I have consistently used three colours for all my ancillary texts thus creating a theme. The use of red, black and white connote different meanings. Red represents love and passion which establishes the album a love record. Black is a representation of the rock elements in the album but also represents grief and heartache. The white is a representation of innocence. White establishes Amelia as a new artist and connotes her youth. 



When producing my ancillary texts I was able to challenge formal conventions more than I did in my video. I consider my video to be a traditional pop video through the use of cinematography, mise-en-scene, editing and sound. 

Use of mise-en-scene has helped me to create a narrative however, in my audience feed back many have stated that my video has no storyline. Although, there is no visible storytelling my video allows audiences to subjectively create their own story. For example, on one hand, some viewers may find Amelia as a young vulnerable girl who has gotten her heartbroken. On the other hand, her body language and confidence suggests that she is a strong woman with no fears. The use of costume portrays both views. 


The use of costume is a representation of Levi Strauss's 'Binary Opposites'. There are no polar opposites than black and white and these costumes represent two sides of Amelia. One is a hard rocker chic who lets no boy break her heart and the other is an angelic, vulnerable pop star who offers nothing but love. This is conventional in terms of representation.

Through the use of editing I have followed formal and genre conventions by editing the footage to match the beat of the song. I have also conventionally used lip syncing in my video as a representation of narrative. For example, my video is a performance video the use of lip syncing and dancing represents that. 

Through the use of cinematography I was to convey my 'performance' narrative to the audience. For example, long shots establish the location such as dance studio which reinforces the "performance" narrative in my video. The use of close ups show lip syncing which was once again establishes the "performance" narrative in my video. 

The dance sequence in my video was inspired by Beyonce's Love On Top video as it represents my "behind the scenes" concept. I followed conventions found in Beyonce's video such as lip syncing whilst also dancing however, the dance sequence was not very effective as I was unable to get a Mic and stand for filming. 

 












No comments:

Post a Comment